Barnet UNISON members who still work for Barnet Council (excluding community schools) will begin two days of strike action on Thursday 30 April and Friday 1 May.
The dispute will involves coach escorts, drivers, social workers, occupational therapists, schools catering staff, education welfare officers, library workers, children centre workers, street cleaning & refuse workers, all of whom have made it clear they want to remain employees of the Commissioning Council.
The Council are about to start confidential negotiations with Capita, Cambridge Education and EC Harris which are bidding to win a contract valued at almost £1bn. Whist we are still waiting for the Council to return to the negotiating table time is marching on.
- Our members want to work for the Council, they want to be directly accountable to the residents of Barnet.
- Our members don’t want to work for an employer which will have to place the shareholders’ legal demands before local residents’ needs.
- Our members don’t want to work for an employer which uses zero hours contracts.
- Our members don’t want to work for an employer which will not pay the London Living Wage as a basic minimum.
- Our members don’t want to work for an employer which won’t allow their colleagues to belong to their Pension Scheme.
- Our members don’t want to work for an employer which will take jobs out of the borough.
That’s why 87% of our members working for the Council voted ‘Yes’ to taking strike action.
Five ways to show “Solidarity” for striking Barnet UNISON members
1. Signing our petition here https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/keep-barnet-council-services-public
2. On the day of the strike Thursday 30 April and Friday 1 May wear something green or purple, please take a photo & email it to email@example.com as a message of support.
3. Send in a message of support to the branch – we read out messages of support on the picket line: firstname.lastname@example.org
4. View & circulate our campaign song “The easyCouncil Loco-motion” https://youtu.be/Wi0bdgofsmM on You Tube.
5. Send a donation to our campaign. Cheques payable to Barnet UNISON Industrial Action Fund c/o Barnet UNISON Office, Building 2, North London Business Park, London N11 1NP.
On behalf of our members thank you for your support.
0208 359 2088